The Power BI Desktop August 2016 update (v2.38.4491.282) has an annoying issue with custom visuals that use the new API – like our Sparkline.
The issue affects only report files within these conditions:
- Report files have to be created with a previous version of Power BI Desktop (July 2016 or earlier update)
- Custom visuals embedded in the files must be coded with the new API (today only Sparkline in OKViz components is affected)
- Custom visuals must be published in the Power BI Gallery (and Sparkline has been published on Power BI Gallery September 1, 2016)
Involved visuals don’t appear, leaving a blank space.
To solve the issue, you have to follow these steps on each report file:
- Remove the custom visual
- Save, close, and re-open the report
- Import the visual again and use it as usual (unfortunately you have to set all the bindings/properties)
Microsoft has been informed and assured us that will release a patch in a few days.